Sunday, February 1, 2009

Radical life-changing decision + Ottos + forced memes


Persuasive dog is persuasive

Forced meme aside, i have decided to make a decision that could change my life forever.

This decision will forever alter people's perception of me. It marks end of an old beginning and a new beginning of an end. It heralds the transition of getting past yet another phase in my life, especially now in my impressionable teenage and almost-post-adolescent years.

In fact, this could change the world.


I have decided to be a proper male now.
I will leave my hair short.

It all started when my MUM (like wth) pulled a surprise attack on me, strapped me unto a chair, and did the unthinkable:

She cut my fringe straight.

This is outright child abuse.

After hours of wimping about my lost dignity and wallowing in self-pity, I persuaded my mum to at least cut my fringe properly. Now its a freaking bang. Still sucks, but at least its not a bloody coconut.

But i came to realize: My hair is not growing the way i hoped it would. I kinda wanted a mat-style headbanger curly rocker hair, but instead i was getting a post-modern emo look. I guess long hair doesn't work on me. Come to think of it, my "best" hairstyle in secondary school was an ah-beng japanese style trimmed short thinned hair. Okay, i dun really know how to describe it, but its short and thinned.

I will get my hair cut by a REPUTABLE hairdresser/barber on Wednesday.


==================================================================

To break the monotony of yet another long winded post by me, i shall put another forced meme here.



Because of teh internets, Mudkips are now THE coolest pokemon in the world since the big fatass sloth-like one. And its underlying innuendo is much worst than Squirtle. Don't ask.

==================================================================

An Aussie family missionary band came into PMC today and led worship/songs for Ympact. I liked the whole "live performance" style format that they used: We (the youth congregration) "watched the band perform" rather than the usual "sing along with the worship leader" thing. They're called the Otto band or something like that, cos' thats they're surname.

They are kind of like an Aussie version of Corrine May. Not outrightly "Christian music" yet not to subtle. Just sub Corrine's pianos with acoustic guitars, and ang moh singer instead of English-ed Singaporean voice. The lyrical style is kinda the same, except the Ottos are more "direct" and "Christianish" than Corrine, i.e. less subtle.

And everyone agrees they sound like Colbie Caillet. White ang mohs girls with acoustic guitars. What did u expect?

All this time during corporate worship I/we have been singing songs that praise God. That is, we sing songs about His glory, His majesty, His awesomeness, and calling Him to work in our lives. Also, I have been inuanded by many a sermon proclaiming the glory of God, His majesty and His awesomeness etc etc.

Yet I seem to have a dislike of writing Christian songs. For some reason I just can't write them. I kinda realised, pardon my language, that I don't like sucking up to the Big Guy above.

I guess I forgot one important attribute of God:
He is our loving Father.
He saves us because he loves us.
He is the loving shepherd that tenderly cares for us.

The Ottos' songs were like love songs. In fact, you can take their songs in an entirely different context if you didn't know they were singing about God, and imagine that they were singing a love songs to another lover and not God. I know. I just read through some of their lyrics.

Here's a sample of their songs.

Its Alright

It's alright
He's by my side
And He'll take good care of me
It's alright
He's on my side
And He knows my every need
He said,
Oh you of litte faith
See the sparrows in the sky
Unencumbered by the cares of the world
I feed even them
Clothe the lilies in the field
How much more to me are you worth that these
I gave my Son for you
It's alright
I'm by your side and I'll take good care of you
It's alright
I'm on your side
And I know all that you go through

If you go to church and listen to Christian songs, you'll proberlly hear the standard stuff:
"All majesty to the God of creation"
"We worship You"
"Falling before the wonder of Your name"

Yet the Ottos were singing songs that were like...love songs. Its as if God is an intimate lover.

Its important to adknowledge the majesty of God, his attributes of Holiness, Powerfulness, Sovereignty and Worthiness-to-be-praised-and-worshiped.

But I guess, sometimes we have to remember that God also came down as Jesus Christ. He loved the people around Him that He fed them, ate with them, talked to them, fratenize with them, healed them. He loved us so much he actually died a horrible death for us. A king who came down to our level? Thats much food for thought.

I guess i got inspiration to write different kind of "Christiainish" songs now. But i kinda fail as a songwriter lol.

BTW i got Melissa Otto's CD, featuring some of the songs played during service. If you want to hear it just ask nicely and say please. :) I also got the DVD.



============================================================
Yet another long winded post by Ben? I'm sorry. Heres another forced meme to make it up to those who bothered to read through this post or those who just scrolled down in boredom.


This.... is......Breakdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaance!!!!

No comments: