Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008 - Warning: EXTREMLY Long Winded Post! If you think my older posts were long u aint seen nothin' yet! Even the title is long!!!

It started with lots of promise and excitement... pity it turned out to be one screwy ride. Thats right, I'm talking about the thing that is the year of two-thousand and eight.

Why was it "screwy"? No, its not my own problems, but the worlds'... just how many terrorist attacks and wars happened this year? And whats up with the fickle economy? Any world issues like poverty, pollution or genocide resolved?

But enough of the world. Stop! Ben time!

Personal year:



+ Kickstarting the year with with Trackers(A 2 month Christian discipleship programme) , and the marvelous India mission, 2008 was off to a good start. Trackers spiritually refreshed me and i was off to face the next step with confidance.


Yeah I know this is a bad pic because not every Tamtam is here but i wanted to show how Stef looked before she got pregnant! Haha now shes returning back to this yay.

+ Also, my new church Life-group (thats cell group for you non pmc-goers) Tam Tams are a great bunch of ppl, and i always look forward to friday nights to hang around with them.

Off to the next step: Working


-/+Working was really really over in an instant. My dad's cafe changed management lol, so both father and son were out of a job very quickly. I had a stint at wedding banquet waitering. That was the worst 2 nights of the year for me. It also made me not trust employment agencys anymore. Overall it was a gd experience, and best of i learnt how to make cookies, and use a coffee machine properly.

Then came poly. I can't remember how i felt when i first came to my new school. I think it was something like;"meh, new school. whatever. Hey look! Girls! woohoo"



+ The new friends i made in school (unless u are in Ympact, if u are reading this you're probably one lol) were pretty cool. Yeah, there were a few ppl i never talked to initially, but i guess now we're ok.

- Then came politics. (dun ask, i also dunno lol)

+ Uh well. Things are "better" now i think. Still got you guys as my friends. You all, yes, everyone in i803, or the few ppl outside class that i came to know, are still cool.

- It still sucks to think that next year the classes are gonna be reshuffled.... oh noes.... uh well. Hope you all stay with your new best-friends next year, and have a good year ahead.

- - - Got a new job. It sucked big time. Wasted my holidays. October must have been the worst month ever in my life. I actually laid awake at night thinking of how im stuck in a dead-end job, how stressful is it to go through a day, and whether i can escape. I didn't know i will get working blues at such a young age. I missed alot of tamtam sessions and one voice sessions. Lesson learnt: Don't work at an atas restaurant

.

+ Uh well. Ah least it gots me moneh to buy a Vox Tonelab!!! yays! Guitar flamboyance +9000 exp!!!

I was supposed to go back to work during holidays. But discovering then im not bound by any contract or rules, I pontanged work and went church camp and caroling. Hopefully my employers and colleagues can forgive me. Sorry boss!


-/+ Camp L.A.H.: I was a group leader. I got a little complacent, thinking my "success" as GL for R.A.W camp (yes we love acroymns) means that lah would be smooth sailing. I thought wrong. Me and Pei Min had to take care of each individual group members' needs and problems, so it can be pretty trying. I guess God was trying to show that being a SGL next year, i would face my different personalities and issues, and I can't get complacent. Leading (or should i say, serving, because thats essentially and very importantly what being a group leader is) ain't a walk in the park, and I'm gonna need lots of guidance from God.


- And i was accused of... doing something wrong. WTF??!?!?!? Yes, bold the F in that, its what i genuinely feel. I'm really really really sorry for offending that person, it was not on purpose, but srsly, what the hell? And no, its most likely not you, dun worry.... Nvm you all don't need to know what happened. Disregard this paragraph!

+ But ultimately Camp L.A.H. was great, as being gl really taught me alot on Love, Acceptance and Humility. The sermons weren't as impactful as Ps.Aaron's previous ones, but the corporate worship and tahaning the games were pretty refreshing.


- And planning caroling and practicing was tiring. Turns out i didn't do much for Ca rolling comm, jsut the publicity and a bit on the programme. Trying to memorize guitar chords and STILL screwing em' up during practices and the actual days itself was demoralizing for my big ego... And Dawn was pretty strict too, which makes me worried about how the younger ones might feel about her.

+ But everything paid off. We had tons of fun. We friggin' sang on a big stage *with fail P.A. system according to my parrents :(* in Orchard! We entertained ppl in houses, and most exciting of all we gave a surprise performance for the kopitiam near church. That was uber cool. And it was the only time i didnt really screw up guitar lol.

+ Not forgotting the new Ympact friends i made, through RAW, LAH, Tamtams, caroling, or just wasting time at the lounge.

Thats it for me.

Back to the cruel world.



- Religous persecution in India right after we left. And in the state of Karnataka itself. And Orissa too. Scareee.
4000 Christians arrested in a peaceful march in New Dehli
Official no. deaths: 40-50. Real estimated: >400. I don't care if that includes Hindus. No one deserves to die because of religion.
>12000 displaced.
Nuns raped. Churches and houses burned. Death threats to pastors, including the one who took care of us.
Persecution of Jesus' fellowers is inevitable. Hopefully things are getting better there.



- Rising food prices + Rising fuel prices + Rising commodities prices + Rising every damn thing prices + Sub-prime crisis + Raped banks + Lower employment + Black October + Stock Market pummeled + Rising dollar + Volatile economy + I can haz bailouts???+ Recession!! = One screwy economic year.

- War in Georgia
- New old War in Gaza
- Cyclone Nargis + Junta apathy
- Sichuan Earthquakes
- Indonesia mudflow
- Messed-up Thai Politics
- Poverty rising
- No one gives a damn about pollution anymore
- Somali pirates
- Melamine
- Terrorism: Pakistani Marriott hotel, Mumbai attacks
What else have i missed

=================================================================

This is all that most of us can remember. However, let us take comfort in the joy we found in the slightly better things that happened in the past year

The sad part is, i cant find anything, so i had to google search. :/



+ One heck of an Olympics (had to coincide one week before term tests. urgh) Woot Phelps, Bolt
+ SINGAPORE WINS MEDAL!!!!!1111
+ Lots of old bands releasing new stuff e.g. Foo Fighters (ok that was 2007. Hard to find good news k???), Black Keys, AC/DC, Metallica, Oasis... I didn't really get to hear the new stuff
+ Afghanistan situation improving
+ US Aids rates falling
+ Sub-Saharan African economy improving
+ Fuel and food prices went back down later part of year. Ironic, huh?


Okok, can't think of anything else. How about MY own good news?

+ TRACkers
+ India trip
+ Made new friends in school, Trackers and church
+ First guitar pedal: Ibanez Smash Box (might sell it now lol see next pt.)
+ Vox Tonelab LE!!! woohoo
+ RAW camp
+ Camp LAH
+ Carolling
+ Officialy becoming gay by making a blog

Thanks be to God, for blessing me with all these, even though times were getting tougher and things were more stressful.

If you have actually read the whole post: Congratulations. You have no life You are a good reader and i really thank you for taking the time to read through this

Wishes for 2009: For it to be less crappy and more peaceful. That my studies will get better, and also everything else about me too. And Obama: Everyone has put their hopes on you. Don't screw this up man.



No comments: